Friday, February 6, 2009

Oldies Night!

I cant begin to explain my love for the Oldies. Dick Biondi and the 94.7 WLS-FM Chicago crew has been my number one pre-set on the car stereo for quite some time now. Its a constant stream of feel good hits that make you want to dance like no one is watching. I sometimes wish i could travel through time and return to the era when "rock 'n' roll" was new and taboo. Now, when i say "oldies" I'm talking about everything from 50's rock 'n' roll to early 70's Motown and R&B. From Chuck Berry and The Beach Boys, all the way to The Jackson 5 and Stevie Wonder... and everything in between.

Its amazing how this music has had a lasting impact on a lot of current music today. Its no secret that with advancements in technology, a lot of popular oldies of yesteryear are hits once again via mainstream hip-hop and dance music. Popular French electronica duo Daft Punk are definitely guilty of this pleasure, but that's what i love about them. They, like many popular artists of today, resurrect a lost hit making it come alive again with bass heavy beats and keytar synth sounds.

So now that i have expressed my love for Oldies like this guy, let me tell you about one of my favorite spots to enjoy such an eclectic group of songs.

The Burlington, located at 3425 W. Fullerton Ave. is a great place to grab a brew and take in some quality tunes. They are known to sponsor themed music nights such as Tender Tuesday on A Thursday: Classic country so tender you could cut it with a beer... and Disco Then? The first Thursday of every month they sponsor an Oldies Night hosted by Flosstradamus, one of my favorite Chicago DJs. Flosstradamus can be described as "2 DJs, 4 turntables, and lots of people getting buck on the dance floor," as stated on their myspace page. Every time i hear Floss is spinning at a bar or a club i definitely try to make it there. They bring the party everywhere they go spinning an eclectic mashup of electro, house, minimal techno, and sleazy R&B. So when i heard they would be hanging out playing oldies all night i had to be there.

After work, i met up with my friend Lucia and we took a brisk, 5 minute walk to The Burlington to enjoy some spirits and do the twist. Before leaving her apartment she introduced me to her new pet, who come to find out, was a Lionhead Bunny (seriously). I have never heard of this breed of bunny before, but it looked as awesome as the name sounds. I laughed out loud when i saw it. It's my pleasure to introduce you to my new friend Rocket.

Anyway, oldies night was a success at The Burlington! For a wintry Thursday night the joint was packed. With no cover charge, great tunes, and the $5 PBR & Beam shot special, it was no surprise seating was limited. As midnight approached, i found myself at the great divide of choosing sleep over the next soulful R&B classic to pour out the bar's sound system...with a 430 A.M. wake-up call i reluctantly i chose sleep.

Once again, i mos def enjoyed my time out at The Burlington. If you ever find yourself in the Logan Square neighborhood i strongly suggest stopping in for a beer, a shot, and place to rest your weary ears on some good music.

No comments:

Post a Comment