Monday, February 2, 2009

What's a Passion Pit?

Let me start by saying this blog (my 1st) is an all access backstage pass into my world of music. This includes stories of live shows I have experienced and discussions on music that makes me feel alive. Although I have been going to concerts since the seventh grade, last week I went to my first show alone. As I swayed melodically to the synth-pop that was floating through the air I came to full fruition, that even though I was riding solo that night, I could still share my experience and educate my friends and fellow music lovers through magical powers I call the INTERNET! So now that my thesis has been stated, "let the great experiment begin..."

So my love affair with Passion Pit (who share the name of an 80's Traci Lords/John Holmes skin flick) all started a little over a month ago when my dear friend Mickey slid his iPod into my dock (that's what she said!) and blasted their six track EP Chunk of Change. Passion Pit's sound can roughly be categorized as big-beat/soul/game boy-electro-pop...yeah that's got a nice ring to it. I just calls 'em likes I hears 'em. They have recently toured with Girl Talk as an opener, and were voted Best New Local Act in a Boston music poll.

Passion Pit is centered by Boston-based singer-song writer Michael Angelakos. The entire EP was written and recorded solely by Angelakos as a Valentine's Day gift for his girlfriend, but now performs live with a full band. They share the same label with fellow indie artists Les Savy Fav and The Hold Steady. Shortly after my 1st taste of the Pit, i found out they were playing at Schubas Tavern right here in the Windy City for a measly 10 bucks! So, long story short, I ended up purchasing THE last ticket to the show. As I mentioned earlier, I usually don't go to shows alone, but when I saw I had a chance to snag the last ticket I knew it was a blessing in disguise.

After pounding 40 oz. of high quality malt liquor, (retail value...$2.49) I made way into Schubas tiny tavern and headed towards the back where they kept the talent. I got there just a few moments before PP took the stage and it was packed full of twenty-something beardos and cute hipster chicks downing PBR like it was going out of style (god forbid!). They opened with a little electro diddy called "I've got your number", which got the crowd off to a strong start. Angelakos' voice is even better heard live. As each song rolled on (they only played 6 songs 'cause that's all they've got) Angelako's falsetto, which can be described as if Prince and Steve Perry had a baby, pierced my ear drums with great delight, almost sounding like a children's chorus bringing down the house.

The band as a whole was an entertaining sight with two players on keys, a mellowed out bassist, your standard sweaty drummer, and a guy who played with various knobs on what looked like a member of the Flux Capacitor family (take me back to 1985 doc!). Another stand out track "Sleepyhead", which is most popular on their myspace page, made many jump in unison in addition to a lone crowd surfer (yeah...THAT guy was there). To say the least, I was very pleased with the whole experience and suggest you check out their six-track EP and keep an eye on this "buzz-worthy blogo-sphere" band's full length release in 2009.

www.myspace.com/passionpitjams

(Passion Pit @ Schubas Chicago, IL 1/27/09)

No comments:

Post a Comment